The Benefits of Berries
- Berries are high in antioxidants (like vitamins C, B, A, and E!), which neutralize free radicals keeping you looking young and healthy all summer long.
- The high vitamin content in berries will help boost your immune system, so you won’t get bogged down with a summer cold when you should be out enjoying the weather!
- Eating raw berries in the summer will help cool you down. Whether you juice your berries, freeze them as Popsicles, or enjoy them fresh, they serve as a great cool-down treats.
- Berries are extremely high in fiber. Eating even a handful of berries can prevent constipation and improve digestive health.
- All types of berries contain flavonoids which have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer
- They have a very low glycemic-index, just like the coconut palm sugar we use in our granolas!
Blueberries have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits. Consuming blueberries daily will keep you looking and feeling young! They contain high levels of selenium, zinc, and iron, which promote immunity and keep you in good health. This is why Purely Elizabeth blueberry muffins call for fresh blueberries. Muffins that keep you young and healthy? I’ll take some! Get your blueberry muffins here
Raspberries: These sweet berries benefit your liver and kidneys and are great for detoxing. They rid your blood of toxins, help regulate menstrual cycles, and help treat anemia. Eaten fresh or frozen, they are great in smoothies, atop yogurt, or mixed with granola (Purely Elizabeth, of course!).
Blackberries: Blackberries are high in vitamins C and E, which protect against cancer and chronic disease. They are a good source of soluble fiber and alleviate diarrhea and intestinal issues. These juicy berries are also high in folate, which has been shown to help prevent both cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. So stock up on your blackberries and you’ll be in good shape.
Strawberries: These larger berries are great for enhancing your memory function and like the others in the berry family, help prevent cancer. Eating a serving of strawberries daily can also help lower blood pressure. Strawberries are delicious chopped, in a smoothie, or eaten whole as a juicy snack!