Benefits of Hemp Seeds + Hemp Milk Recipe
These little seeds pack a powerful punch, which is why some consider them a perfect food. Hemp seeds were first used in China over 6000 years ago as a staple food. In fact, hemp production is one of the oldest industries on the planet. Not only can we eat this incredible plant but we can also use it to make paper, clothing and fabrics, body care, plastic, building material and fuel. Wow! So what makes this seed so special?
1. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Hemp seeds contain all the essential fatty acids necessary for humans. Hemp seeds provide a perfect ratio of omega 3 fatty acids to omega 6 fatty acids.
2. High in protein, containing one of the highest amounts of plant protein next to algae. This protein is very easy to digest and use as energy.
3. This superfood is rich in sulfur, known as the beauty and longevity mineral.
4. Contains high levels of minerals, including iron.
5. Hemp seeds contain GLA (gamma linolenic acid), a super anti-inflammatory essential fatty acid that is also known to balance hormones.
6. Unlike animal protein, hemp seeds are an alkaline protein, helping to balance the pH of your body for optimum performance.
By Marissa Vicario, Certified Holistic Health Coach and founder of Marissa’s Well-being and Health (MWAH!)
Blend for two minutes. Serve chilled if drinking straight as a snack or in smoothies. Add it to oatmeal at room temperature. I store mine in a tightly sealed mason jar in the refrigerator – it usually lasts up 3-4 days.